32 Best Quotes About Losing a Friend
Losing a friend is one of the hardest things you'll ever have to go through, and it can take a long time for you to recover from it. Sometimes, the only thing that seems to help is finding some quotes about loss - quotes that provide comfort after the death of a close friend. In this blog post, we will share 25 comforting quotes about losing a friend!
- “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly-that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp” – Anne Lamott
- “We all lose friends… we lose them in death, to distance, and over time. But even though they may be lost, hope is not. The key is to keep them in your heart, and when the time is right, you can pick up the friendship right where you left off. Even the lost find their way home, when you leave the light on” – Amy Marie Waltz
- “When people die,’ she said softly, ‘It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ready to give them up” – C.A. Belmond
- The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to” – Elisabeth Kubler Ross
- “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. For all that we love deeply becomes a part of us” – Helen Keller
- “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those, who are friends” – Richard Bach
- "There are some who bring a light so great to the world, that even after they are gone, the light remains."
Inspirational Quotes About the Death of a Friend
When a best friend dies, the family you chose for yourself gets a bit smaller. Whether you've lost a childhood friend, a good friend or old friends, the death ends an earthly relationship. But the love and memories of that person remain in your heart.
- "Your best friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you." -Elbert Hubbard
- “While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.” —John Taylor, President of the Church of Latter-Day Saints
- “On the death of a friend, we should consider that the fates through confidence have devolved on us the task of a double living, that we have henceforth to fulfill the promise of our friend's life also, in our own, to the world.” —Henry David Thoreau, Author
- “Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, / Advanced a stage or two upon that road / Which you must travel in the steps they trod.” —Aristophanes, Philosopher
- “You cannot stop loving your friend because he's dead, especially if he was better than anyone alive, you know?” —J.D. Salinger, Author
- “Tell your friend that in his death, a part of you dies and goes with him. Wherever he goes, you also go. He will not be alone.” —Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher
Sad Quotes About Losing Friends
- "If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." —A.A. Milne, Author
- “It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- “I don’t think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that remains.” —Anne Frank, Author
- "We need to grieve the ones we have loved and lost in this lifetime—not to sustain our connection to suffering, but to sustain our connection to love.
Losing Friends Quotes for Our Dearest Friends
Friends fill time and the loss of a dear friend can leave you feeling forever broken, even if you have happy memories to hold onto. But reading the words of others who have had friends pass can help you hold onto the friend's legacy with a grateful heart. One that will be healed as every day passes.
- "Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare. I lost one last year; he was true blue." -- Anonymous
- “The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one” – Seneca
- “The bond between friends cannot be broken by chance; no interval of time or space can destroy it. Not even death itself can part true friends.” ― John Cassian
- “There’s a thing that keeps surprising you about stormy old friends after they die; their silence” – Ben Becht
- “Life without a friend is like death without a witness” – John Ray
- When a close friend unexpectedly leaves us, a piece of our heart is forever broken. Chris Lumpkin
Inspirational Quotes for Losing Friends: Best Friends and New Friends
Sometimes there are words left unsaid. A sudden death may leave us grasping for meaning of our loss. For centuries, poets and mystics have written of loss.
- For precious friends hid in death’s dateless night. ~ William Shakespeare.
- Even the best of friends cannot attend each other’s funeral. ~ Kehlog Albran.
- Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful a meaningful friend – or a meaningful day. ~ Dalai Lama.
- Tell your friend that in his death, a part of you dies and goes with him. Wherever he goes, you also go. He will not be alone. ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti.
- Grief is the price we pay for love. ~ Queen Elizabeth II.
- A true friend is never truly gone. Their spirit lives on in the memories of those who loved them. ~ Unknown.
- Painful though parting be, I bow to you as I see you off to distant clouds. Emperor Saga
- The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. Elizabeth Foley
- The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone. Harriet Beecher Stowe
Want to read more?